GAC Bylaws as amended and registered by the Registrar of Companies in the Province of Alberta, on the 13th day of January, 1982
ARTICLE ONE – MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
- (1.1) MEMBERSHIP – Any person, who intends to and will support the objectives of the Association, shall be eligible for membership in the Association as herein provided.
- (1.2) ORDINARY MEMBER – Any Goan or person of age 18 years and above shall be eligible for admission as an ordinary member. He/she shall have full voting rights.
- (1.3) YOUTH MEMBER – Any person under 18 years of age, will be eligible for membership, without voting rights at half the fee.
- (1.4) PATRON MEMBER – Any member who is 65 years of age and over, and who has been a member of the Association in good standing for at least five (5) consecutive years, shall be afforded a discounted membership of 50% of the ordinary member’s price. Patron members shall retain all previous rights and privileges upon filling in and registering their names on the prescribed form and returning the same to the General Secretary.
- (1.5) HONORARY MEMBER – Honorary membership may be conferred by the vote of the majority of those present at any General Body Meeting of the Association to non-members who are national figures or have rendered special service to the Association.
- (1.6) Dependents of members in all classifications under eighteen (18) years of age shall be registered with the Association. Dependents shall enjoy the same privileges as members except that they shall have no voting rights.
- (1.7) Application for admission shall be made in writing on the prescribed form and shall be signed by the applicant. He/she shall be proposed and seconded by any two members in good standing with voting rights. Every application received shall be accompanied by the required entrance fee and the annual membership fee, which fees shall be refunded should the application not be accepted.
- (1.8) Any member wishing to withdraw from membership may do so in writing to the Executive Committee through its Secretary.
- (1.9) Any member with voting rights who has not withdrawn from membership nor been suspended or expelled as herein provided, shall have the right to vote at any meeting of the Association. Such votes must be made in person and not by proxy or otherwise.
- (1.10a) Entrance fee shall be twenty dollars ($20) per member, or as amended by the General Body of Membership from time to time, payable in advance to the Treasurer.
- (l.l0b) Children attaining the age of eighteen (18) years of age on or before May 31st of the calendar year and are becoming an ordinary member and whose parent(s) are members in good standing may apply for membership of the Association without paying the entrance fee provided they have paid they youth membership fees in the previous years, but will pay the prescribed annual membership fee.
- (1.11) Annual subscription for membership In the Association shall be the fee set by and reviewed by the General Body of Membership from time to time, payable in advance to the Treasurer.
- (1.12) Any member, whose annual subscription is in arrears as at 31st day of May of the fiscal year, shall automatically cease to be a member of the Association and thereafter, a new membership application will have to be completed and the required entrance fee will apply.
- (1.13) Any member may be suspended by the Executive from membership and participation from any further activities of the Association for any cause which the Executive may deem reasonable. The Executive will determine the period of time for the suspension. Any member so suspended may be referred to the General Body by the Executive and may be expelled form membership for any cause the Association may deem reasonable upon a two-thirds vote of the members present in good standing with voting rights. Any member so expelled shall not be eligible for re-admission in the Association.
ARTICLE TWO –MANAGEMENT
- (2.1) The Association shall be managed by the Executive Committee consisting of:
- (a) President
- (b) Vice President
- (c) Secretary
- (d) Treasurer
- (e) Member at large
- (2.2a) The executive committee shall, subject to the by-laws or directions given by the majority vote at any business meeting properly called or constituted, be responsible for the management or the business and the affairs of the Association. The President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be the Board of Directors of the Association. The Treasurer and any one member of the board of directors will be signatories.
- 2.2b) If any committee member (s) or their family indicate a desire to do business with the Association the committee members should consider all possible estimates and grant contracts to the most appropriate organization as decided by the entire Executive Committee. If the contract results in business being given to a committee member or immediate family, the Treasurer should ensure that the amount paid to the Committee members or immediate family member is disclosed in the financial statement as a “related party transaction”. (2.3) The Executive Committee shall meet as often as the business of the Association shall require, and at least once every two months and shall be called by the President by at least seven days notice by telephone or in writing. All issues and business pertaining to the Association, its finances and/or membership must be properly discussed, voted upon and carried by a simple majority. Any five (5) members shall form a quorum.
- (2.4) Spouses shall not be elected to the Executive at the same time.
- (2.5) The Board of Directors shall not be permitted to incur a net operating loss of more than two thousand dollars in any given year without approval of the General Body.
- (2.6) The Board of Directors shall ensure that at all times the Association is solvent in funds to the minimum amount of $100.00.
- (2.7) Individual members of the Executive Committee shall perform duties hereinafter specified:
- (2.8) The Goan Association of Calgary website is property of the Goan Association of Calgary and any information to be updated/changed can only be made and maintained by the Webmaster with the approval of the President or General Secretary. No commercial or personal advertising shall be displayed on the Goan Association Website.
- (a) The President shall officially represent the Association in the interest of its members at all times. He/she will also be responsible for calling meetings of the Executive and the Association.
- (b) The President shall be ex-officio a member of all committees, and shall when present, preside at all meetings of the Executive & the Association. In his/her absence, the Vice-President shall preside at any such meetings, and in the absence of both, a chairperson may be elected by the meeting to preside thereat.
- (c) The President shall present a report of the term of office to the members at the Annual Meeting.
- (a) The Vice President shall act as President in his absence. In case of permanent disability or resignation of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President.
- (b) The Vice President shall chair all sports sub-committee meetings and report to the Executive. He/she shall preside at all sports functions and activities.
- (a) It will be the duty of the secretary to attend all meetings of the Executive and the Association and to keep minutes of the same. The Secretary shall have charge of the Seal of the Association, which seal whenever used shall be authenticated by the signature of the President, or in his absence, the Vice-President.
- (b) The Secretary shall have charge of and responsibility for all the correspondence of the Association, and of all other documents except those related to accounts.
- (c) The Secretary shall also keep a record of all the members of the Association and their addresses, and send all notices of the various meetings as required.
- (d) The Secretary shall ensure that the annual statement of accounts as approved by the General membership, be submitted to the Registrar and advise the bank of the current Board of Directors of the Association.
- (a) The Treasurer shall receive all monies paid to the Association and be responsible for the deposit of the same in whatever bank the Executive may decide.
- (b) It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to verify the accuracy of all bills submitted to him and to determine whether such bills arose from work properly authorized by the Executive. Having determined the accuracy and propriety of a bill, the Treasurer shall make the payment within a reasonable time.
- (c) The Treasurer shall keep such books as are necessary for proper accounting and shall present a full account of receipts and disbursements to the Executive whenever requested, and prepare for submission to the Annual meeting a statement duly audited as hereinafter set forth, of the financial position of the Association, and submit a copy of the same to the Secretary for the records of the Association.
ARTICLE THREE – ELECTION OF THE EXECUTIVE
- (3.1) The members of the Executive shall be elected for one year, by the members of the Association.
- (3.2) Any vacancy of the Executive Committee shall be filled by election at the next General meeting, provided it is so stated in the notice calling such a meeting.
- (3.3) Nominations for the Executive Committee members may be made to the President or Secretary, before the election meeting.
- (3.4) Only one non-Goan member can be elected to the Board of Directors.
- (3.5) A non-Goan can only serve in one of the following positions of the Board of Directors; Vice President or Secretary.
- (3.6) No Goan member can hold the position of the President until he/she serves on a previous committee.
ARTICLE FOUR – NO-CONFIDENCE
- (4.1) A motion of non-confidence in any one or more members of the Executive, may be made in writing, stating the reasons for the same. Such a motion must be submitted to the President and must be signed by at least (30) thirty members in good standing with voting rights.
- (4.2) A motion of no confidence made in the proper manner shall be put to vote at a special meeting of the Association and shall be carried by a majority vote of seventy-five percent of the members present.
ARTICLE FIVE – AUDITING
- (5.1) The books, accounts and records of the Treasurer shall be audited at least once a year, by two members of the Association elected for that purpose at the annual meeting.
- (5.2) The books and records of the Association may be inspected by any member of the Association at the annual meeting or at any time upon giving reasonable notice and arranging a time satisfactory to the officers having charge of the same. Each member of the Executive shall have access to such books and records at all times.
ARTICLE SIX – MEETINGS
- (6.1) The Annual general meeting shall be held at least once a year, within thirty days following the end of the fiscal year of the Association. Such a meeting to be summoned with at least fourteen days notice. At this meeting, the agenda shall include the presentation of the President’s report, the presentation of audited accounts, and estimates by the Treasurer, and the election of the Executive Committee.
- 6.1(a) Minutes of the Annual General Meeting to be given to the incoming committee within 60 by the outgoing committee.
- (6.2) A Special meeting shall be called by the President, by letter, within one month of receipt by him of a petition signed by (30) thirty members in good standing with voting rights, setting forth the reasons for calling such a meeting. Members signing the petition shall be responsible for all expenses incurred at such a meeting. If a petition is approved by the general body, the members will be reimbursed the expenses. If however, (25) twenty-five of the requisitioners are not present in person within half an hour of the appointed time to begin the meeting, the meeting shall be dissolved by the President and no further meeting shall be held on the subject in question by a further requisition.
- (6.3) Any Extraordinary meeting shall be called by the Executive, on thirty days notice to consider
- (a) election of a vacant Board of Director(s) position during the term of office.
- (b) Changes in the By-laws.
- (c) Voluntary dissolution of the Association and winding up of the affairs.
- (d) Any urgent matters requiring approval of the members.
ARTICLE SEVEN – REMUNERATION
- (7.1) Unless authorized at any meeting and after notice of the same shall have been given, no Executive Committee member or member of the Association shall receive any remuneration for his services.
ARTICLE EIGHT—BORROWING POWERS
- (8.1) For the purpose of carrying out its objectives, the Association may borrow or raise or secure money in such manner as it thinks fits, and in particular by the issue of debentures, but this power shall be exercised only with the approval of the Association and in no case shall debentures be issued without the sanction of a Special Resolution of the Association.
ARTICLE NINE—AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
- (9.1) The By-laws may be rescinded, altered or added to by a Special Resolution passed by a majority of not less than three fourths of such members as are entitled to vote, as are present at such a meeting. For any other matters a simple majority vote will carry.
ARTICLE TEN – FISCAL YEAR
- (10.1) The fiscal year of the Association shall be from the first of February to the thirty-first of January of the following year.